London, May 31(ANI): V. Jayadevan, an engineer in Kerala, has challenged the Duckworth-Lewis (D/L) method used for determining the winner of rain-affected cricket matches.
|The current D/L rule, planned by English statistician Frank Duckworth and former England captain Tony Lewis uses mathematical formulas to calculate the winning target....|
Jayadevan would learn on Thursday whether his challenge to the Duckworth-Lewis method, which is also one of the most complicated rules in the game of cricket, is successful or not.
The current D/L rule, planned by English statistician Frank Duckworth and former England captain Tony Lewis uses mathematical formulas to calculate the winning target for the batting team when rain reduces playing time in limited-overs matches.
It was first adopted after World Cup rules made a ridicule of the 1992 semi-final between England and South Africa in Sydney. In that game South Africa needed a gettable 22 runs off 13 balls before rain stopped play, but that became a farcical 21 off one ball when the match resumed.
The International Cricket Council will announce on Thursday if the VJD system will replace the Duckworth-Lewis method after discussions in London by the ICC's cricket committee, headed by former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd.
Jayadevan, who is a passionate statistician, confidently expressed his chances to win the challenge in a statistical manner.
"I think there is 90 percent hope if members read it patiently. I will not be at the meeting because I was not invited, so I cannot immediately clear any doubts, which a member may have. That is why I have taken away the remaining 10 percent chance," The International news quoted Jayadevan, as saying.
In England, the challenge has been seen by some as another attempt by India, the game's superpower, to chip away at the influence of England, the former colonial power and inventor of the game. (ANI)